Good news for chocolate-lovers… chocolate in its raw state is extremely healthy for you and is in fact the highest antioxidant superfood known to man. Raw, unheated, sugar-free and dairy-free cacao will help you turn cravings for ordinary chocolate into super-nutrition.
The Healing properties of raw cacao:
- Magnesium: Magnesium is the primarily mineral missing when heart problems occur. Magnesium increases the overall vigor of the heart muscle. This mineral also decreases blood coagulation thus lowering blood pressure and helping the heart pump more effectively. Cacao, of course, is a fantastic food source of heart-supporting magnesium.
- Antioxidants: According to research cited in The New York Times, fresh cacao beans are super-rich in antioxidant flavonols. Cacao beans contain 10,000 milligrams (10 grams) per 100 grams of flavonol antioxidants. This is a whopping 10% antioxidant concentration level! This makes cacao one of the richest sources of antioxidants of any food.
- Anti-depressant: Cacao is a great source of serotonin, dopamine, and phenylethylamine, three well-studied neurotransmitters, which help alleviate depression and are associated with feelings of well being. Cacao contains monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAO Inhibitors) that improve our mood because they allow serotonin and dopamine to remain in the bloodstream longer without being broken down. Cacao contains anandamide which delivers blissful feelings. Cacao also contains B vitamins, which are associated with brain health. Cacao contains significant quantities of the amino acid tryptophan which is yet another powerful mood-enhancing nutrient. All this makes cacao a natural Anti-depressant!
- Slimming! Anyone who eats chocolate knows that it diminishes appetite. There is evidence indicating MAOIs also diminish appetite. There is actually no scientific evedince to implicate chocolate consumption with obesity. In fact the reverse seems to be the case. Eating cacao helps one to loose weight by allowing you to eat less.
Cacao Powder has a strong, rich, dark bitter chocolate flavour. Perfect to make raw chocolate desserts of all kinds. Blend into your favourite smoothies for a taste and health boost. Make your own healthy chocolates at home!
Note: Recommended daily intake is 5 to 20 grams
2 cups Pitted Dates
2/3 cup Macadamia Flour
1/3 cup Gluten-Free Oats
Pinch of Fine Himalayan Salt
4 tbsp Raw Cacao Powder
1 tbsp Agave Syrup
3 tbsp Goji Berries
2 tbsp Hemp Seed Powder
Soak the dates in warm water to soften.
- Combine the flour and oats and place in a food processor.
- Add the dates and combine well.
- Add the cacao powder, hemp seed powder and agave and blend thoroughly.
- Place brownie mix into a bowl, add the goji berries and mix well.
- Press and spread the mixture into a glass dish to your preferred thickness.
- Place in the fridge to set.
- Slice into individual brownies and enjoy!
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
1 cup Raw Almonds
2 cups Pitted Dates
3 tbsp Raw Cacao Powder
½ cup desiccated coconut
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp almond butter
- Mix al ingredients together well in a blender.
- Roll mixture in your hands to form date balls and allow to set.
- Can dust further in the coconut/ carob powder/cacao powder.