Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans and Bengal gram, are round, cream-colored legumes. They're consumed all over the world, especially in African and Asian countries. . Chickpeas are an excellent source of protein, healthy fats, fiber, carbohydrates, and a long list of vitamins and minerals.
How to Cook
Soak chickpeas overnight. Drain the water and rinse the beans before cooking. When you are ready to cook your soaked beans, place them in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer cook until the beans are tender. Timing generally varies with the age of the chickpeas, but typically takes about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours. Can do it in pressure cooker 45-50min.
When straining cooked beans, keep the cooking liquid and use as aquafaba.
Chickpea Waldorf Salad
½ cup Dairy free yoghurt
2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp honey
400g Chickpeas, cooked
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
1 medium apple, chopped into chunks
1 cup red grapes
1/2cup red onion, diced
½ cup pecan nuts, chopped
4 cups fresh spinach
- Prepare the yoghurt dressing by combining the yoghurt, apple cider vinegar, mustard and honey in a bowl.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients (except the spinach) in a large bowl.
- Stir in the dressing and mix until evenly coated.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve salad over fresh spinach and enjoy!